gump-general mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: The Kaffe instance and ant-bootstrap
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:31:38 GMT
Stefan Bodewig <bodewig <at> apache.org> writes:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Niclas Hedhman <niclas <at> hedhman.org> wrote:
>
> > I have looked at the Kaffe instance and its inability to create the
> > Ant bootstrap.
> >
> > The first level of problem is that the Kaffe compiler doesn't imply
> > any source files that are not specified, and that results in the
> > immense number of "Cannot find class".
>
> I think the only viable solution is to drop kopi and use jikes as a
> compiler.  The very same problem is likely to come up in javac tasks
> later on as well.

Yes.

> There already is an issue in Jira for this.
>
> Ant's bootstrap script can use jikes easily by setting the JAVAC
> environment variable.

Ah, cool, I didn't know that. Since which version of ant is that the case?

> > I don't know if we should proceed by convincing Ant to introduce
> > this to their codebase, or we should maintain a separate bootstrap
> > script.
>
> I'd prefer to really not use kopi at all.  I've been told that even
> the Kaffe people prefer to use Jikes.

Yes. the main reason is that kjc is not greedy wrt to resolving missing
 classes,
whereas most other compilers are, so people naturally write build.xml
files that
don't work with kjc, which needs to be fed all classes on the command line.

> Any approach like yours will need to be maintained when classes get
> added to Ant.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with some other issues, unfortunately.
I'll look into making the bootstrap work with jikes & kaffe in debian by setting
the JAVAC env var.

I've had to solve a similart problem for bootstrapping ant with kaffe & jikes in
kaffe-extras module of kaffe's CVS. There I've patched ant's bootstrap scripts
for that [1] but of course setting env vars is more elegant ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1]
http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kaffe-extras/patches/