gump-general mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Standardizing on Maven names
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:17:48 GMT
The maven repository uses "ant" and I guess "cocoon" would be used for these.

Let me clarify some terminology, just so I understand:

In gump there are projects, where a project id is unique globally, and
there are jar ids, where jar ids are unique within project, right?

So this parallels quite nicely to Maven's groupId (globally unique)
and artifactId (unique within group).

Now the twists :)

However, I'm worried there still might be a disconnect because Maven
talks about projects within a group, where Gump talks about projects
being a group.
eg: groupId geronimo, artifactId geronimo-clustering
but the project is geronimo-clustering, and that's where the gump
descriptor will be generated. Each subproject will have a descriptor.

Is this what gump expects? From what I can see, it is, so that's ok.

Next twist: the Apache Repository group has come up with a standard
repo format, and we are working towards that in future Maven versions.
groupIds are likely to be fully-qualified.
ie maven -> org.apache.maven (maybe even deeper)
  commons-collections -> org.apache.commons.collections

If we start migrating to different group IDs like this, will that
cause any issues? I'm guessing the only thing is that it might make an
ugly project name (as Stefan pointed out), so maybe gump needs to
explicitly declare a groupId, different from the project id.

Thoughts? This is a bit of a way off, and I don't think it really
changes anything - but best to make sure.

Cheers,
Brett