gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] move the descriptors in our hands
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:27:34 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>There are 4 ASF descriptos that currently don't reside in our repository:
>>
>>  1) avalon_trunk
>>  2) cocoon
>>  3) forrest
>>  4) lenya
>>
>>and a few others (3) from outside.
>>
>>I would strongly suggest that we start moving them.
>>
>>The only problematic one is cocoon's since it's a central piece of the
>>build system. But this can be easily solved with "svn:external" if we
>>move the metadata in SVN.
>

> At Forrest our module.xml is an integral part of our build.
>
> I gather that we could use the "svn:externals property" too.

yes, if that's the need, yes. note however, how svn:external works only
on a folder (or, at least, I couldn't make it work on a single file)

an alternative, which I'm considering for cocoon too, is to use a <get>
operation in the build.xml that fetches the file directly from the CVS
repository via viewCVS.

This would allow us to avoid moving the metadata to SVN entirely!

> We could instead re-structure our build system at Forrest
> to not depend on the module.xml file. At first glance it is
> just to grab our version number. However, we are just about
> to enter a release process, so not yet.

hmmm, if it's just the version number, it's a trivial change, as you can
place that into the build.properties files and be as happy.

in any case, it is failing so I will start moving it over anyway. you
guys can decide what to do on your own.

> Anyway, +1 from me (still need to raise on forrest-dev)

please do

> for moving our metadata to the Gump repository
> and +1 for moving all Gump metadata to SVN.

with the above <get trick it might not be necessary for now.

--
Stefano.