gump-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: a few questions on our descriptors
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:56:19 GMT
On Sunday 10 October 2004 01:38, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> gosh, this is all very confusing, people.

No shit.
AFAIUI, it is something about feeding the ant script with additional
information need to properly build those projects.

Personally, I think Gump has the wrong approach. It tries to adopt to whatever
way the project is structured, but still ends up requiring explicit support
in the build system of most projects, so why not make Friend-Of-Gump a
requirement in those projects.

Perhaps not more work, but a hell of lot easier to understand for each
project's community.

Basically,

1) Gump ask via a script which dependencies the project has.

2) Gump passes those artifacts from its earlier builds, tells the project's
script to build. (alternatively, all the artifacts output can be structured
as a local Maven repository, and just pass the repository location)

3) That script hands back a list of artifacts that was built.

Wouldn't most project communities say, "Hey that is easy. Can do in a day or
so."? without involving Gumpmeisters who are a bottleneck.

Just my thoughts...

Cheers
Niclas
--