gump-general mailing list archives

From "Stephen McConnell" <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Some progress on Fulcrum Component Builds!
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:45:08 GMT

Actually - yes.

There are 142 projects in avalon and a lot of time has gone in to
getting this into a managed and largely automated structure (including
centralized version management).  The convenience of the 3.3 release
packaging is important and is being dealt in a way that properly
addresses the clean classloader content prerequisite.  I.e. there are
compromises to take into consideration and providing that everyone
understands the implications of the compromises I think everyone will be
better off.

> At least not in the way Gump is a consumer.

Well - this is true.  We didn't spot this problem until Niclas added you
into the gump circle.

> So, because I use a specific version of merlin-unit, I am fine in my
> project.  I can't change it to avalon-merlin-unit until the next
version
> comes out.

Correct.  This is the downside of the process of getting all of avalon
into a consistent shape.

> However, because of the name change, and Gump using the latest and
> greatest, my project doesn't know about the new version.

Yep.

> So, in these types of situations, should I just somehow setup a
"package"
> that I depend on, which would be the merlin-unit-3.3.0.jar version?

Niclas has already put in place an additional gump descriptor that maps
the avalon-merlin-unit package to the merlin-unit name.

Cheers, Steve.