gump-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: excalibur-thread-impl failure in Gump
Date Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:51:12 GMT
On Friday 24 September 2004 19:03, Brett Porter wrote:

> This could be true - so probably a long term goal to unify all the
> types of build types. I think we probably need to get a bit more
> experience building these different projects as they are before
> venturing into unchartered territory.

Experience is earned the hard way, unfortunately. The fact that Avalon have
had so many artifacts, and our driving insistance to get them properly built
under Gump have brought _us_ that experience.

And that experience has allowed Stephen to create extraordinary integration
between Magic and Gump, and handling the now 141 artifacts in Avalon is no
big deal, neither from versioning nor Gump integration point of view.
The fact that Magic is Ant extensions, may have helped to a certain degree,
since the Ant support is more well understood in Gump.

Unfortunately, I think the Maven team (you?) have to pull up the sleeves and
starting digging into the nitty, gritty details of classloading issues,
either by respecting the classpath handed to Maven by Gump, or modify Gump
generated output is organized in a Maven repo friendly way, which sounds like
a lot of effort.
On the other side of the fence is to get the "gump" goal in Maven to produce
correct Gump descriptors.

> This is all just my opinion from a distance of course as a Maven
> user/developer. As I said, I'm not familiar enough with gump internals
> to comment on a lot of things.

I am curious about how does Maven's own build get built by Gump? I see a Maven
and a Maven-Bootstrap, but is that all there is? How about all the plugins?
Are they within a single project? Is that not contradictory to the Maven
principle of one artifact per project?

I think the experience required is acquired by building Maven itself,
according to its own principles, and since it would become overwhelming to
maintain the gump descriptors for each of the numerous plugins, the "gump"
goal would probably be solved at the same time by itchy fingers... :o)

Cheers,
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /