gump-general mailing list archives

From Danny Ayers <danny.ay...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: re. RDF 102 s.v.p...
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:50:15 GMT
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 16:51:46 -0400, Stefano Mazzocchi
<stefano@apache.org> wrote:

> Anyway, rdf:about indicates the subject while rdfs:seeAlso indicates an
> implicit relationship.
>
> I personally strongly dislike rdf:seeAlso for that: it doesn't state
> what kind of relationship you have with that URI, it's vague and
> semantically useless.

True, but it's pragmatically useful. An explicit property:

X y:property http://somewhere.org

gives you proper semantics. But it doesn't (by itself) tell you
anything about what if anything you get if do a HTTP GET on the.
Strictly speaking neither does seeAlso, but people are tending to put
retrievable RDF documents at the end, so it makes a useful hint. Note
that there's nothing to stop there being *more* information:

X rdfs:seeAlso http://somewhere.org
 X y:property http://somewhere.org
http://somewhere.org rdf:type foaf:Document

> In general, I don't like a lot of RDFSchema and I think that OWL Light
> (or even a subset of that, OWL Tiny as some people call it) is a lot
> mroe coherent than RDFSchema, but that's just me.

Hmm - you are using a DL reasoner?

> >>eheh, great question ;-)
> >>]]
> >>
> >>Easy! My home page is http://dannyayers.com. The representations of it
> >>(the HTML & RSS) vary a lot, but conceptually it's the same entity.
>
> Easy?!? c'mon. Easy to implement so that you show something? sure. Easy
> to implement so that the semantic web can really happen? another story.
> Ask the TAG ;-)

TimBL seems reasonably happy ;-)

> > But how can I tell you things about how it looked yesterday or last week?
>
> exactly. As a hack, if you have a date-based URI, you can "infer" that
> if you have
>
>   http://blah/newsfeed/2004/03/23
>
> then you can ask for
>
>   http://blah/newsfeed/2003/03/23
>
> and get the news of the same day last year. But there is no guarantee
> that this is so.

Quite. Yet if the information is made explicit in RDF statements, you
can be (more) sure.

> Also,
>
>   http://blah/newsfeed
>
> might return you the "last" feed, but then you have no idea on how to
> ask for a previous feed.
>
> The RDF data access WG is supposed to solve this issue, tough, but I
> suspect that a clear result won't be found, it will just emerge out of
> de-facto useful practices.

On that you're probably right. But if anyone's going to pull rabbits
out of hats it's those guys.

> I think the ASF *should* start to centralize these things and associate
> persistent URIs to projects. I can push this at the board@ level if
> required.

Ooh, the word 'centralize' is a little worrying. What if the project
moves somewhere else? Are projects really that persistent? (Maybe, I
don't know).

Cheers,
Danny.

--