gump-general mailing list archives

From "Jaroslaw Kowalski" <j...@zd.com.pl>
Subject Re: [nant-dev] Re: NAnt
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:51:56 GMT
The idea of mini-nant is to have a minimal set of working components that
are able to rebuild nant itself.
It DOES rebuild everything from scratch and is a recommended procedure for
rebuilding NAnt.

The mini-nant is recommended because the nant build process may require some
special tasks (like generating version information and embedding it in the
source files) which are best controlled in the nant script itself (see
create-common-assemblyinfo or documentation-related targets in NAnt.build).
It's very likely that additional tasks will be added to nant bootstrap
process so maintaining them in a NAnt build script looks like a good idea.

BTW. I've been thinging about it for a while and the process of fully
rebuilding NAnt is quite complicated:

1. Download NAnt sources from CVS
2. Bootstrap NAnt using mini-nant and binary libraries found in CVS (bin/lib
directory)
3. From now on, use the bootstrapped NAnt
4. Download and rebuild the platform-neutral version of log4net.dll
5. Download and rebuild the platform-specific version of NUnit.*.dll
6. Download and rebuild the platform-specific version of NDoc.*.dll
7. Download and rebuild the ICSharpCode.SharpCvsLib.Console.dll referencing
the log4net.dll built in step 4
8. Download and rebuild the ICSharpCode.SharpZip.dll
9. Put the just-built DLLs in the appropriate nant/bin/lib subdirectory
11. Bootstrap NAnt again by using the previously built nant (not the
mini-nant) and the fresh libraries

Jarek