gump-general mailing list archives

From "Jaroslaw Kowalski" <j...@zd.com.pl>
Subject Re: [nant-dev] Re: NAnt
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2004 19:51:24 GMT
Hi Clayton!

What's wrong with using the NAnt-provided bootstrap procedure? It uses a
portable mini-nant that is stored in CVS can run on any platform supported.

You just do either:

bin/NAnt.exe

or

mono bin/NAnt.exe

and it will build the entire nant and put it into build/**/bin
If you want to build external dependencies, just compile them and put in the
appropriate "bin/lib" subdirectory before bootstrapping NAnt.

Jarek
----- Original Message -----
From: "Clayton Harbour" <claytonharbour@sporadicism.com>
To: "Adam R. B. Jack" <ajack@apache.org>;
<nant-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>; <general@gump.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 9:34 PM
Subject: RE: [nant-dev] Re: NAnt

Hi Adam,

I managed to get a first cut at the bootstrap together.  I have only
produced the Windows batch file and just want you to take a look and make
sure it is something you can use before I work on the ?nix script.

There is a batch file attached (extension = .bad so hopefully it won't be
stripped off) that will compile a minimal NAnt and then build itself from
that.  Just some notes on the setup:

    COMPILER_EXE: Full path to your compiler (these are defaulted to the
default install locations if not specified).

    LIB_REPOSITORY_DIR: Points to a directory with the contents of the bin
directory, namely (these will eventually be built if I understand
correctly):
        bin\log4net.dll

        bin\lib\net\1.0\NDoc.Core.dll

        bin\lib\NUnitCore.dll
        bin\lib\net\1.0\nunit.core.dll
        bin\lib\net\1.0\nunit.framework.dll
        bin\lib\net\1.0\nunit.util.dll

        bin\lib\mono\1.0\nunit.core.dll
        bin\lib\mono\1.0\nunit.framework.dll
        bin\lib\mono\1.0\nunit.util.dll

        bin\scvs.exe
        bin\lib\ICSharpCode.SharpCvsLib.dll
        bin\lib\ICSharpCode.SharpCvsLib.dll

        NOTE: scvs.exe is not required to build NAnt

    NANT_CVS_DIR: Directory of the fresh NAnt checkout.

There are a couple of other parameters I am playing around with, namely
FRAMEWORK_TYPE and FRAMEWORK_VERSION.  I will probably add these when I can
get mono to compile.  (Almost there, I am getting an exception that makes me
think it is grabbing the System.Web.dll from the ms framework instead of the
mono framework...so I might need to add a full path to that.)

Anyway, please take a look at the scripts and let me know if there are
naming conventions or anything else that should be sync'd up.

Also will the bootstrap sit in the gump repository or should it sit in the
project (i.e. NAnt) repository?

Cheers,

Clayton