gump-general mailing list archives

From Scott Sanders <sc...@dotnot.org>
Subject Re: PSP (Python Server PAges) and Brutus (Debian)
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:19:51 GMT

On Aug 27, 2004, at 8:55 AM, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I was trying to get mod_python to provide PSP on Python. It took a
> while for me to figure out that although apt-get nicely installed
> mod_python, it installed an older version (2.7), that doesn't have PSP
> support.
>
> I don't know Debian, and specifically I don't know how to get the
> mod_python 3.1 package (in unstable) installed. A few questions:
>
> 1) If I add the 'unstable' distributions to the list of sources, and
> attempt to upgrade from there, am I doing a risky thing?

Can't you just install apache2 (separate package from apache)?
Nevermind, it is still only in unstable.

> 2) It seems apache is 1.3.31, but PSP requires Apache 2. Could such an
> upgrade be done without risking a lot? Would we need to reconfigure
> everything?

mod_python 3.1 does only work on Apache 2.  I usually take apache out
and build it myself, along with mod_python and svn.  I think the major
'reconfiguration' either way you go is just copying out the revelant
bits of httpd.conf into the new httd.conf

> 3) Is 'unstable' before 'testing'? I assume so. Would we be risking
> too much to allow it? We don't push the envelope too far w/ what we do
> on Brutus, would it be an acceptable risk?

Yes, unstable is before testing.  I think it is an acceptable risk,
assuming that brutus is what we say it is: an unstable box :)

> BTW: I want PSP so we can query the RDBMS from it and remove a bunch
> of static pages and make them dynamic. Ought speed Gump up, and
> simplify it, and we'll get better reports.

No Cheetah? :)

Scott