gump-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RT] two wild thoughts
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 02:23:09 GMT
On Tuesday 10 August 2004 08:16, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'm sick of the whole "open source java" thing going nowhere.

This was really a wild opinion!
Would you care to elaborate?

> Wild Thought #2
> ---------------
>
> Gump and Maven have project matadata descriptors that are in XML. I
> strongly believe it would be way better to have them in RDF, but I know
> this scares people away.

_I_ am completely sold on the RDF idea, and I agree about the 'scares people'.
I think I have identified 2 of the reasons (there are of course others) why it
does;

1) Existing RDF vocabularies sets out to solve fairly ambitious problems,
ontologies being the most visible, and that RDF so far has been used where
nothing else can cut it.

2) As a beginner in the subject, you don't understand the triples concept, and
quickly turn to the xml serialization of triples, and those end up looking
fairly nasty, especially when auto generated by higher level tools.

So, we need some simpler showcases of how easy this really can be, and try to
not expose anyone to the xml format.

Just my 0.076 ringgit worth.

Niclas
--