gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Traditional 'Branch'
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:52:01 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> All,
>
> We've discussed various ways to separate Traditional from Python, so we can
> re-organize directories, clean-up and focus on extensions to the current
> base. We've discussed moving Python Gump out to SVN, and we've discussed
> moving the metadata to a separate CVS module. I suspect these will be a bit
> of logistical pain, although worth doing one day.
>
> I wonder if the following has some mileage (at least as a transitional
> solution). Create a branch for Traditional, and leave that branch in place
> long term. I do not know CVS well enough to know if this is poor form (if
> branches ought be short term) but the merits are that folks who wish to keep
> traditional can change their CVS tag to get it, but can also fix and minor
> nits, etc.
>
> If we did this, I'd like to start cleaning up the root directories, removing
> things no longer used (which would make my modem happy on checkouts), and
> perhaps moving the python sub-directories' contents up one.
>
> Thoughts?

Go for it.

SVN rulez and it's very well integrated with IDEs now and many apache
projects are moving.

And, besides, there is not that thousands of people updating their
descriptors anyway ;-)

Actually, i think that a better refactoring of the repository could help
people getting up to speed too, because the tree is currently a mess.

--
Stefano.