gump-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Was python a good idea?
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:02:27 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Basically, I think Python Gump was the right thing to do 'cos it breathed
> life into a somewhat mundane/infrastructural task. I do think it has become
> a barrier to entry for many, which I find disturbing. As such, I'd not fight
> against folks wanting to re-write in Java ('cos that is clearly quite
> doable).

For what its worth - yes - Python is a barrier to entry for me
personally but I kind of like that.  It's my perfect excuse for not
submitting patches and provides me with a good separation of me as tool
user versus developer (something I appreciate given the amount of stuff
I'm already committed to).

On the other hand - a java variant of Gump would be interesting in that
I could envisage closer integration between things like magic and gump
itself.  It would also be a lot of fun to play around with gump plugins
- things that lavage the big interconnected picture - but I'm sure this
is possible with Python gump also.

0.02

Cheers, Steve.