gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: Multithreading the updates
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 15:07:16 GMT
> this is a good idea, my experience with gump is also that the updates
> are taking ages.

Yeah, once I started down this path it became glaringly obvious this was a
good win. Most of the updates take time to figure out that little or nothing
needs updating, and those are great things to have spawned off. :)

The code doesn't appear to be breaking (despite Python not locking in base
classes like lists, and the Gump code not locking all that it might). I
tried doing a Google search for locking in Python, and really found little
"street wise" information. I found some updates from a Mr Stein (a gent, not
a gazillion miles from ASF ;-) but little that really told me what the risks
are w/ running large pieces of Python in separate threads. I guess we suck
it and see.

Over time I can make the locking totally tight, right now a few lists are
appended to [work done], a few variables are set [setting states of
modules], and these could occur simultaneously but (1) I don't know if that
will really hurt (2) the threads (CVS|SVN updates) are so large, the chances
of them hitting at the same time are pretty small.

All Pythonic insights welcomed...

regards,

Adam