gump-general mailing list archives

From Michael Davey <Michael.Da...@coderage.org>
Subject Re: (CVS & SVN) Re: [VOTE] retire java gump
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:21:13 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>We could take the opportunity to:
>
>1) Move Gump (Python) core to SVN
>2) Move Gump Metadata to a separate CVS repository [to move to SVN one day
>in the future, when all ASF committer are "comfortable" w/ SVN].
>
>We could leave the current repository as is, tagged but even CVS HEAD
>stable, for automated Gumps out there that depend upon things there.

+1

>>My main concern
>>at the moment is that python gump seems a /lot/ slower than java gump on
>>my under-powered, over-worked Sun Ultra 5.  On that machine a Java gump
>>run would take in the order of 19 hours.  I started a Python gump run on
>>the 6th June at 2.33pm local time and it still isn't finished (as of the
>>8th June at 5.05pm).
>>

>Performance has become my bugbear w/ this stuff. I just don't get the
>language well enough to be able to crack it.

I've just completed another full gump run (same definition as the public
gumps).  I started the run at Thu Jun 10 08:16:23 WEST 2004 but Gump
says the run started at Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:23:40 (WEST), some 7 minutes
later.  Gump says the run finished at Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:28:52 (WEST)
but the process actually terminated at Sun Jun 13 02:26:12 WEST 2004,
some 5 hours later.  What was Gump doing during this time?

I also tried gumping just ant, which took 4 hours.

>FWIIW: I find small (50 project) workspaces zip by, but large ones (500+)
>seem to creep.
>
>BTW: How many projects do you have in this workspace? What is the purpose of
>it? Do you "trim/tailor" the project sequence by passing "myproj*" project
>masks?
>
>BTW: Do you use forrest batch, or not forrest xdocs?

I think I can answer that one by saying "I don't know - the default".
Could you point me to some docs that describe how to set up the other?

--
Michael