gump-general mailing list archives

From Michael Davey <Michael.Da...@coderage.org>
Subject Re: Fw: brutus
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:56:18 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>>I can do it, esp if people can be disciplined about using jira
>>(too....much....email....).
>>

>I couldn't agree more. JIRA has to help us smooth out the inflow.
>

>>I think it'll pretty much reduce the time I
>>have available for actual gump development to 0, but that's hardly a
>>change! :/
>>

>You know, I find it disappointing that Gump has a high barrier to entry to
>new developers. I know it is there, I feel it, and I know that aspects of
>what I've added to it, contribute to that problem. I'd appreciate all
>pointers/tips on how to make Gump accessible to the newbie.

Two things I noticed recently:

1.  The gump object model is hard to understand at first.  Including
examples for each entry would certainly help

2.  Perhaps some kind of mechanism to create a hostname.xml file that is
"nearly right" for personal gumps, so that with minimal editing someone
could get a personal gumpp up and running.  Contrast, for example, with
Apache webservers httpd.conf.  Actually, this probably applies to
project.xml and most of the other gump config files too.

--
Michael