gump-general mailing list archives

From gene...@gump.apache.org
Subject [Gump Wiki] New: NightlyBuilds
Date Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:20:09 GMT
   Date: 2004-06-27T03:20:08
   Editor: LeoSimons <mail@leosimons.com>
   Wiki: Gump Wiki
   Page: NightlyBuilds

   no comment

New Page:

= What is a nightly build? =

A nightly build is some artifact (ie a jar file, javadocs, .tar.gz distribution) that is produced
by some automated program or script downloading code from a version control system, compiling
that code, producing those artifacts, and then making those artifacts publicly available.

= Why run nightly builds? =

They can provide a useful way to check that builds work as they are meant to (instead of having
to check with fellow developers, you can check with the automated build). They can provide
useful "preview" information to developers more loosely tracking progress of your project
(maybe from a dependent project), who might need a downloadable to test their software against.
They can help to keep some information up to date that is a pain to update manually (like
javadocs, junit reports, ...)

Etc etc. Its a common practice.

= Why not just use gump? =

Gump doesn't quite do "regular" builds. Instead of compiling (linking) code against the listed
dependencies, it will compile (link) against the latest bleeding-edge of those dependencies.
This may not be what you want.

More importantly, gump retrieves code from "untrusted" sources and executes their builds without
checking they don't tamper with anything. For example, imagine I was the author of a weird
library that some weird commons code depended on...it is entirely possible to write a task
in an ant build.xml file that recompiles a class in tomcat and opens a back door. That might
take a while to notice.

= What facilities do we have for nightly builds? =

The ASF has a few new boxen to set up; one of those is [wiki:BrutusConfig brutus]. This machine
is intended to run a dedicated gump installation; another similar machine is supposed to be
set up for nightly builds. Since that's not happening just yet, in the meantime we're experimenting
with setting up some [wiki:BrutusConfig/NightlyBuild nightly builds on brutus].

Another option you have available is to produce nightly builds on a non-ASF machine, then
upload these every night to your private webspace on minotaur. If you're interested in doing
this, please talk to the infrastructure team first, as there's some security concerns there
as well that deserve addressing.