gump-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: SVN for Avalon and Forrest
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 16:16:37 GMT
On Thursday 03 June 2004 23:07, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:
> > Q; I am working on a system (which may become the way of building in
> > Avalon), where the build system is built by Ant, and then Gump would
> > need to call a command-line util for the main build process instead
> > of Ant. I think that is possible, is it?
>
> Probably using <script> instead of <ant> inside the descriptor.  The
> worst case would mean you'd have to add a small shell/batch script
> wrapper over your command line invocation.

the command-line shouldn't need any arguments.

> I hope your tool will not use installed jars in any way ;-)

I will get back to you on that. I'll keep it in mind, but shouldn't be a big
problem.
There is a handler for dependencies, which I need to teach some Gump tricks,
possibly including generation of the Gump descriptor at some point.

Btw, the reason for this whole experiment is that I am somewhat tired of XML
scripting languages, that are hard to maintain, slow to run and in case of
Maven too shakey under the hood.
So it started out as a small project to see, "How hard could it possibly be to
do the build system in Java?", and to my surprise not that hard at all.

Well, I'm ~6-7days into it now, and have far more than I could have imagined
(compile, jars, site generation, dependency resolution/downloads, and jar
repository uploads), and it is so 'fast' and fun to use, that I have grown
very fond of it. With no XML, things fly !
We'll see what the destiny holds for it.

Cheers
Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /