gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] retire java gump
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:39:11 GMT
> -0 (if that's allowed)
>
> But -1 if the proposal is to stop non-Python Gumps at present.

I don't think anybody is intending the stop them, and I proposed a way to
let them continue to function (as we move Python out, into SVN, etc.)

> > I'd suggest tagging CVS and making it clear that java gump may deviate
> > from documentation, etc but permit changes to the code.  My main concern
>
> +1

Sadly the metadata is shared, and quite soon the <maven entries (supported
by Python, not by Java) will destroy the value of the Java ones. It is
already happening, this jsut makes it official.

> As far as I can see, the Python Gumps are currently in the minority, so it
> makes sense to allow the Java Gumps to continue.

I'd love to know if that is true, or not.

> The more, the merrier, as there's then more chance that the inevitable
> installation differences will help find subtle build problems.

I thought that, but with one metadata base it is getting unmanageable. We
could fork the metadata (I think I proposed that).

> Also, none of the Python Gumps seem to make any generated jars available,
> even if they are redistributable.

They still create them (if redistributable) they just don't publish them. I
am working on that very thing. I'd 'guarantee it' if that would grant this
your +1.

regards

Adam