gump-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [GUMP@lsd]: ws-axis/ws-axis failed
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 09:40:49 GMT
At 12:04 AM 5/19/2004, robert burrell donkin wrote:

>if the upcoming commons-logging release contained this patch then the
>impact on all those downstream projects would be huge. log4j CVS HEAD is
>no longer binary compatible with the last release version. everyone using
>the existing release of log4j with the next commons-logging release (which
>is coming soon) would find that their logging was broken.
>
>i'm not willing to apply a patch that makes common-logging incompatible
>with the last released version of log4j. i'd also be willing to veto any
>one who commits such a change. there are other ways around this issue but
>it's going to take a little time.

I think there is a slight misunderstanding here. Mario's proposed patch in
itself will not break backward compatibility with log4j 1.2.8 (the last
official release). However, applying it will not ensure runtime
compatibility with future log4j versions, although will result in compile
time compatibility. IMHO, you could safely apply the patch.

I am currently working on keeping runtime compatibility as well.

>i make no apologies for putting the needs of the downstream users of
>commons-logging higher than the need to fix this problem hastily. i have
>been looking into this tonight and i've posted a proposal solution to the
>mailing list. if no one can find a hole in it, i'll probably have
>something in place tomorrow.

Your proposal is reasonable although it might be unnecessary depending on
the results of work on our side.

--
Ceki Gülcü