gump-general mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Gump integration with Maven
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 16:32:23 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>>Agreed.
>>

>>>I think the real challenge is at the project level, projects need to
>>>establish naming consistent with their Umbrella group, this is a real
>>>growing pain at this point, I suspect eventually the entire Jakarta
>>>Commons will need to migrate to
>>>jakarta-commons/jakarta-commons-foo-x.x.ext from
>>>commons-foo/foo-x.x.ext
>>>sometime in the near future. But it would probably be good to
>>>have the
>>>system consistent before that point and keep such transitions
>>>separate.
>>>

>Could either of you elaborate, please? Are we having uniqueness problems? If
>not, what is the issue?
>
>regards
>
>Adam

Its not really a concern at this time, just a groupId naming
inconsistency in the Jakarta Commons that will eventually need
resolution. Each Jakarta Commons project is defining its own groupId
(commons-collections, commons-math, commons-lang) instead of using a
global one (jakarta-commons) , this makes each subproject a totally
separate project as opposed to just an Artifact of Jakarta-Commons. So
currently in the Maven Repository we get

/repo/commons-math/jars/commons-math.x.x.jar
/repo/commons-collections/jars/commons-collections.x.x.jar
/repo/commons-lang/jars/commons-lang.x.x.jar

I think the Commons, we would rather eventually see:

/repo/jakarta-commons/jars/jakarta-commons-math.x.x.jar
/repo/jakarta-commons/jars/jakarta-commons-collections.x.x.jar
/repo/jakarta-commons/jars/jakarta-commons-lang.x.x.jar

But this is a Commons issue, not a Gump one. However, if you saw a major
beneit in this we could use it as ammunition to push forward a change.

-Mark