gump-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Opposite of Incubator
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 21:40:06 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Niclas wrote this (on community, and found archive). Bringing it here for
> continuation:
>
>  [...]
>
>>Now, what do we do with the Phoenix codebase in ASF??
>>
>>GUMP makes this apparent. When changes are made in CVS in projects that
>>Phoenix depends on, we will receive Nags. These are of three types;
>>1. Temporary and will disappear by themself.
>>2. Incompatible change in other project, by mistake or un-awareness.
>>3. Permanent Incompatible change. 1.0 -> 2.0
>>
>>By upgrading Phoenix to these changes, seems fairly meaningless.
>>
>>Killing the Gump descriptor seems like the most logical thing to do, but
>
> that
>
>>would affect projects that depends on it (or other similar cases), James
>
> in
>
>>this case, I think.
>

> Assuming that Phoenix goes into archive, what do we do for James (and
> others)? There are a few:
>

> http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/avalon-phoenix/avalon-phoenix/details.html#Project+Dependees
>
> Things below Phoenix are still developing, and can (have?) break Phoenix. As
> such, we can't even package Phoenix & expect success for James and such.
>
> Any thoughts on how we deal with this?

We can setup a gump build that handles:

   (a) compilation of james against all latest dependencies
       independently of phoenix (because james compile does
       not require phoenix)

   (b) testcase execution using merlin unit and the gump
       generated james artifacts

To do this we would need to cleanup the build procedures in james head
and think about the unit test strategy - but getting james up and
running ready for a test will not be a problem.  Based on my own tests
there is one problematic source in the james codebase which is a legacy
wrapper that deals with a deprecated interface in the excalibur threads
package.  The wrapper needs to be removed (or at least updated to assume
that the deprecated class may no longer be available).  Aside from that
it should all work fine.

Stephen.