gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Running Gump (public) on Hermes/Brutus N times a day.
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 21:28:19 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Does anybody have a problem with me scheduling these two to run public Gump
> runs 4 times a day, each ? I'd set the cronjobs to run something like:
>
>     brutus:    0,6,12,18
>     hermes:    3,9,15,21
>
> Once we get the forrest run out of the picture (sometime, worst case, in
> next few weeks I hope) the runs oughtn't take more than an hour or so, so
> most of the 6 hours would be idle.
>
> Would folks want these niced?

I don't see a need for "nice" on brutus.  The purpose of that machine is
to run Gump.  If performance becomes a problem, we can ask for help to
get the machine to take advantage of it's second CPU and additional memory.

When hermes goes into production, we may lose it for Gump purposes.
Meanwhile, nice there might be a good idea.

Having gump first sniff to see if it is current running and quickly exit
if so might be a good idea.  Perhaps using some code like this:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/65203

- Sam Ruby