gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: [GUMP@lsd]: ws-axis/ws-axis failed
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 22:18:52 GMT
> > Gump isn't just a build script, it is that plus the effects/outcomes of
> > communities trying to get/stay aligned. We can't expect folks to drop
> > what they are doing the second something comes up, it just doesn't work
> > that way in the OSS world. Much as I might think that the C-L folks
ought find
> > it easy to apply the patch (and perhaps should have done the fix a year
> > plus ago) I am not aware of the factors impacting that project, nor do I
> > wish to judge.
>
> <sigh>

Hey, you must've missed me saying this. ;-)

    "I am not aware of the factors impacting that project, nor do I wish to
judge."

BTW: At time of writting the above I was under the impression it was binary
compatible. That has since been disproven. It might've been nice if a smooth
transition had been found in the last couple of years of 'pseudo
deprecation', but then again I return to :

    "I am not aware of the factors impacting that project, nor do I wish to
judge."

:-)

> i'm not willing to apply a patch that makes common-logging incompatible
    [...]
> i make no apologies for putting the needs of the downstream users of
> commons-logging higher than the need to fix this problem hastily.

Good, 'cos if I had a vote I'd veto is also. Gump has no purpose in life
other than to try to help detect and allow smoothing of API discontinuities
prior to release, to reduce Jar Hell. Sure, the more Gump coverage we get,
the more we can detect (hence my desire to get back to Gumping C-L
dependencies) but users come first...

regards,

Adam