gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Reworking Notification (aka nagging)
Date Mon, 24 May 2004 15:05:03 GMT
"If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody hears it, did it make a sound"?
(Or something like that. ;-) Brutus is working (studiously) to give us
multiple daily builds, but we only benefit from it's notifications once a
day, and commit changes things get 'stale' with that (a developer commits
and walks away & ends their day unaware).

I'd like to change that, notifying when thing are first detected as broken,
notify when things are fixed (save folks having to look, allowing for issue
resolution to be registered in archives). I think we can do more here
(without being unduly noisy), such as warn when a project has stopped having
attempted builds [after a decent period] due to pre-requisites, and so
forth. I think this is possible given the knowledge we accumulate in the
statistics database. That said, those are futures (and I have other ideas,
like "Congrats, you've achieved N*100 good runs in a row".).

I'd like to commit some (early) changes towards this, giving failures when
they occur (and each official run, i.e. repeated once a day) and giving
successes when they first occur (after a failure). Nothing more complicated,
nothing more noisy. I'll do this today, and attempt to monitor it. Please
give me feedback.

Note: I have some concerns that anybody nagging on a Microsoft platform
(where no DBM seems to exist for Python) will have problems with this, but
I've tried to be sensitive to that, and will deal with it if/when reported.

regards,

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise: