gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: [RFC] Bylaws
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 23:50:07 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>>If you have any comments, wish to change anything, please go ahead and
>>modify the draft - or discuss stuff here.
>
> I agree we have a bit of an issue with the committers (and 'active
> committers').

A little ambiguity is actually okay with me ;)

> The only reason I raise this is that 'active committers' can have binding
> vetoes, and I can see that a voting deadlock could occur. I don't see any
> way for the PMC to break a deadlock, other than remove committer rights,
> which seem lousy brute force.

you can try all sorts of things. Appoint a mediator, redo the argument
agreeing that -1 will be counted as a vote not as a veto, have the chair
declare an issue as controversial and have him make a final ruling, have
a PMC vote to invalidate a veto, suspend voting rights of one or more
people, suspend committer rights of one or more people, kick people out,
blah blah blah.

As far as I know, none of that has been neccessary at the ASF, save for
one sad exception. Anything like this is, simply put, extremely unlikely
to happen, especially @ gump :-D. And quite a few of the people involved
in catching and handling that exception are over here to guard against
it, and they're also on the gump PMC. Let's just say that we don't want
to worry about this right now.

> That all said ... what the heck ... I really
> don't want to get all lawyer-ish on this. Perhaps we just deal with things
> if they ever occur.

yep. Rules won't really work if things get out of hand! Any rule can be
abused.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons