gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: status blogging
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:11:28 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>>
>>> 4) The 'root cause/resolution' for outage X/Y (between too parties)
>>> was Z.
>>> Log it/Blog it...
>>
>> ++1
>>
>> If this was available I would definitely use it to post details about
>> what is going on relative to the projects I'm associated with.
>> Furthermore - it would provide an extra hint that there is someone
>> somewhere dealing with a problem as opposed to waiting n days for a
>> change in status - which is something I would find really valuable in
>> terms of projects I'm dependent on.
>
> you know, we do have one of the authorities on blogging and syndication
> right here as a resident gump meister. Someone who happens to know
> python rather well to boot. And someone who's itching to write code
> according to his blog.......

The hardest thing is authentication (something that the peas&carrots
blog sidesteps nicely via CVS).

Starting long running tasks is made possible by platforms that support
fork (sorry Windows).

Beyond those two the next biggest hurdle is the markup that is produced.
  If that is relatively straightforward (in other words, uses techniques
like CSS instead of things like spacer gifs and nested tables), then
building CGIs is downright trivial.

If we can settle on an authentication mechanism, and agree to not worry
about Windows initially, and get a clean CSS-based skin for gump pages,
I can start picking off tasks from Adam's original list.

- Sam Ruby