gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: timeout
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 02:28:53 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>>It seems that pgrep doesn't exist on FreeBSD.  The web site started to
>>materialize once I manually killed the java step that was running.
>
> That I translated to some runaway ant script (we had one recently) and that
> is what caused me to bring up the whole 'timeout' thread. It didn't occur to
> me you were describing the Forrest run. :-)

OK, lets get back to this issue.  Nobody here seems to know why the
forrest run takes so long, but it takes a significant fraction of the
overall run.  It also produces thousands of web pages, only a small
fraction of which are likely to ever be looked at.  And none of these
pages are produced until the run is complete.

A better approach would be to run forrest dynamically, i.e. produce (and
possibly cache) the web page on demand.  I'm not sure what that would
take to make happen, but it seems to me that the best way to get from
here to there is to try to do both.

- Sam Ruby