gump-general mailing list archives

From Antoine Lévy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject Re: Generating SVG from Python
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:43:20 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>Anybody see an reason (licensing, other) why we should not use this:
>
>    http://www2.sfk.nl/svg
>
>in Gump? [I found nothing else via Google. I also looked on python.org
>(including in the package index) and in ASPN cookbook.]

The license seems OK for me (see below)

>I'd like to use it to generate some SVG images. I believe that some browsers
>can render [right term?] them raw (IE just seemed to, albeit slowly), but I
>also believe that Forrest uses Batik to generate PNG (I assume for browser
>portability). Again, I'll try to make this optional, so folks don't have to
>give up the cycles if they don't wish to.

 I am a SVG fan, so +1.
If somebody is interested, I know how to install the Adobe SVG Plugin in
FireFox on Windows
(not easy, I found some information about this at different places on
mozilla forums).

>I'd like to start simple (perhaps generate some slider type images to show
>FOG values, etc.) Eventually I'd like to draw some graphs representing
>dependency tress, etc.
>
>Any feedback? Any objections?

No Objection !

Cheers, :-)

Antoine

Here is the license notice I found in the source code of SVGdraw.py
(there seems not to be any separate
license file).

##Copyright (c) 2002, Fedor Baart & Hans de Wit (Stichting
Farmaceutische Kengetallen)
##All rights reserved.
##
##Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification,
##are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
##
##Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this
##list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
##
##Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
##this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
documentation and/or
##other materials provided with the distribution.
##
##Neither the name of the Stichting Farmaceutische Kengetallen nor the
names of
##its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
from this
##software without specific prior written permission.
##
##THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
"AS IS"
##AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
##IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE ARE
##DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
LIABLE
##FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
##DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
##SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
##CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY,
##OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF
THE USE
##OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

##Thanks to Gerald Rosennfellner for his help and useful comments.

Here a programming example from the same source file :

    d=drawing()
    #then you create a SVG root element
    s=svg()
    #then you add some elements eg a circle and add it to the svg root
element
    c=circle()
    #you can supply attributes by using named arguments.
    c=circle(fill='red',stroke='blue')
    #or by updating the attributes attribute:
    c.attributes['stroke-width']=1
    s.addElement(c)
    #then you add the svg root element to the drawing
    d.setSVG(s)
    #and finaly you xmlify the drawing
    d.toXml()