gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: feature request: top critical failures
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:44:37 GMT
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <ajack@apache.org> wrote:

>> I will try to suggest a new build.xml to the avalon team for this
>> component. May be it could be built with Maven, but I do not know
>> Maven, and I do not know either the interface between gump and
>> Maven.
>
> The way is it (was) meant to work is on types "maven ant" (I think
> this is the goal, to get a build.xml) and "maven gump" to get a Gump
> descriptor.

I think that this is not what the Avlon team has done, it looks more
as if they had tried to manually create Ant build files to simulate
Maven.

"maven ant" and "maven gump" have some quirks as well, at least with
some versions of Maven - Ant build files sometime contain absolute
paths that are only correct for the machine that has done "maven ant".

> I beleive Stefan knows of a reason why some <mkdir entries often
> need to get things to work, but that can be step two.

He has some vague theories ;-)

> BTW: We do now have Gump (at least Gumpy) building via Maven, and
> I'd like to see it tried on something real. This occurs when <maven
> is used instead of <ant in the descriptor.

Why not pick one of the mavenized projects, say one of the commons
components, and try?  Make that two projects, one using <ant> and one
using <maven> so we can compare the results.

> I'd be tempted to have Gump write the build script on the fly, from
> the information in the metadata,

This would never work 8-)

Stefan