gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Ant and Xerces
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:51:26 GMT
Hi,

the whole "Ant needs an XML parser" business currently is quite
complex and I think it doesn't have to be.

If your project depends on ant and not on xml-apis, then you don't
need to specify an XML parser and get the one of your JDK - assuming
you use JDK 1.4+ but we assume that in many places anyway.

If, on the other hand, your project depends on xml-apis, even in an
inherited way that may be unobvious - I still don't know why
depot-update-test depends on xml-apis when depot-update doesn't -
you'll have to use Xerces since that is the default parser configured
in SAXParserFactory.

So why is Xerces not a runtime dependency of Ant?

bootstrap-ant depends on jaxp so that we can start with a minimal
dependency.  This combination then builds crimson.  bootstrap-ant plus
crimson build xerces.  And finally bootstrap-ant plus xerces build
ant.

Right now I think we should make xml-apis and xml-xerces runtime
dependencies of ant and dist-ant so that all projects that depend on
ant and set inherit="runtime" have a fully functional Ant.  This
shouldn't break anything and if you really want a different parser you
can omit inherit="runtime" on the dependency.

Do you think I am missing something?

Stefan