gump-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump docs solution, makes everyone happy (Re: Gump Thrashing/Spinning...)
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:31:23 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> Maybe my comment got lost... generate html and Forrest can skin that too.
>>
>> In other words, Forrest can skin an html site.
>>
>> So, if you make Cheetah output plain html you can see the site
>> natively, or decide to have Forrest skin over it and publish it or use
>> a live Forrest.
>>
>> I'm -1 on removing Forrest for output, as it takes away the same
>> visual style of the site.
>
> That's darn near a circular definition.

I mean that since I want to keep the site done with Forrest, I would
also like to have the other info done that way.

> To demonstrate: what's wrong
> with the notion of switching the site to Anakia, which is stable, builds
> consistently with Gump, and powers www.apache.org, jakarta.apache.org,
> and a number of other sites?
>
> Now realize that I am *NOT* proposing Anakia.  What I am proposing is
> that the ability to view a site as it is being produced is a very
> valuable thing to have, and an important consideration both for a
> machine which is a shared resource and for any hope of there ever being
> personal usage of gump.

Errr, did I say that this is not ok?

Replay:
">> So, if you make Cheetah output plain html you can see the site
 >> natively, or decide to have Forrest skin over it and publish it or
 >> use a live Forrest.
"

I am trying to say that I am *+1* to outputting html, but also that
Forrest can layer *on top* of that to make a skinned version *if* the
user wants to. Note that this does not prevent you from putting a css in
the html that Forrest can skin, so that even the non-forrest-skinned
version can have nice looks.

Is this clear?

> Beyond that, I would like to reiterate the point that there is value in
> keeping true to the original design where Gump bootstraps its own
> dependencies.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -