gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: Gump Thrashing/Spinning...
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2004 20:21:33 GMT
Adam Jack wrote:
> Whatever the cause, I am really starting to get 'done' with forrest. I
> support it's use, I introduced it & have dealt with the issues and built
> workarounds from day one, but it is hard work w/ no fun.

I remember that feeling. I like the forrest project and I like the
forrest devs a lot, but I've been very frustrated with the forrest
software a few times.

As to why python is a memory hog itself as well -- probably because
variables don't go out of scope and because a lot of things (strings
probably and object representations in the GOM) get copied around.

> I wonder if we ought consider replacing Forrest with a pure Python HTML
> producer. As above, I can't prove that forrest is the problem, but a pure
> Python solution might just halve the unknowns.
>
> Thoughts?

It's a good plan, methinks.

* I think some people would like gump a lot more if you could run it
without needing java at all from a philosophical (free everything) view.

* It's a lot simpler (we really don't need forrest's power).

* It reduces the number of tools one has to be familiar with.

We should probably use a template engine. I'm sure there's a python
equivalent for something like velocity (or smarty).

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons