gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject [RT] My personal roadmap for gump
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:56:59 GMT
Hi gang,

I think it'd be nice to know what everyone's up to. I know some of the
plans of some people and guess at the plans of others, but I'm sure many
people are unaware of each others plans...anyway, here's my rather vague
roadmap, and some context for that. This'll be a non-edited rant.

I've got three projects I'm working on at the moment:

  * Jicarilla (java)
  * Gump (python)
  * Moin wiki @ apache (python)

I know a lot about java, a little about python and a little about ruby
(which, I have to say, is my fav. language atm by far). I plan to learn
more about scripting languages, and how to build big projects using
them. Lately, I've reallly been interested in "glue". Jicarilla is
mainly glue between components (and a fledgling webserver), gump is
mainly glue between projects, wikis are mainly glue between communities
that may not neccessarily be project-oriented.

The glue between system-level tools, shell languages, scripting
languages and generic languages (ie java) is quite different from the
glue between projects and communities, and especially their overlap
interests me (how gluing projects together seems to work well using a
"gluey" piece of software, and how "gluey" pieces of software have
rather unique communities).

I don't make money from software nor do I plan to. I do this thing as a
hobby, for the fun of it. I like talking, thinking, writing, and am
somewhat addicted to bugfixing (no idea why I like it. Really don't).

I plan to explore gump in order to learn python, and to improve on my
software-user-interaction design abilities (since gump interacts rather
badly with some users, there's lots of oppurtunity here). I am
interested in how a glue project as gump can gradually evolve into a
platform for glue.

I plan to pour a lot of my ideas about collaborative distributed
software development into or on top of gump. I see gump as about the
most interesting (OSS community-wise) piece of software that exists,
there's this vibe around here that I want to surf on.

I really have /no/ time for /any/ of this. I spend a lot of time
studying physics, and I should be spending more. And I have a "real
life" of course. So I'm likely to have ideas, write e-mails (did I say I
like talking?), then getting started on something, and abandoning it
halfway through completion. I am always hoping that people pick up on an
idea and run with it. When that happens, I'm usually enticed to actually
finish some things. Not because I like finishing things, but because I
like happy people :D

This positive vibe, which I think gump has a lot of and will have a lot
more of, is something I enjoyed tremendously when I joined the ranks of
the ASF, but have been missing sometimes lately. I hope to bathe in it
here :D

A little more concretely, I'd like to think a lot more about gump
workflow (the role of continuous integration in distributed open source
development, and what that role should/could evolve to), talk about it a
lot, and then prove the ideas that rolll out. I'm currently reading the
8-year-old Apple Mac user interface guidelines :D

While doing that, I'd like to explore the rest of the workflow in OSS
development whilst working on gump itself. For example, I think some of
the parts of the ASF that I've seen are too "closed" and "isolated" and
I'd like to explore with gump some of the ideas on how that can be done
differently. An experiment in an experiment if you will.

Yada yada yada. Could go on for a while, but I won't. Let's hear about
you! :-D

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons