gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: [RT] href considered harmful
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 07:21:55 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Leo Simons <lsimons@jicarilla.org> wrote:
>
>>The basic cause for that happening was the use of the 'href'
>>attribute to link to remote descriptors accessed via webcvs.
>
> The basic cause was that somebody modified a descriptor without
> checking whether anything got broken by the change. ;-)

hehehe. True. I probably meant "root cause" or something like that...it
is too difficult to check.

Also, the check cannot be automated, its something a human has to do (bad).

> On the other hand, href has some potential that we shouldn't throw
> away.  The ant-contrib project has two descriptors that are more or
> less maintained by me, no big deal, but take a look at the dom
> testsuite descriptors.  Curt Arnold has written them.
>
> In particular, look at the very top of the descriptor for the
> copyright message and the license - this could never live in a Apache
> metadata module for legal reasons.  Well, maybe it could since the
> license is less restrictive than the ASL, but you get the point.  No
> webapp would enable anybody to put a different license on the
> descriptor, for whatever reason he/she should choose to do so.

do you really think that will actually become an issue?

I can't really imagine why someone would want to put an AL-incompatible
license on a descriptor that is used by an ASF project to build said
project on ASF hardware.

Do you think Curt Arnold would object to moving the descriptor, for example?

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons