gump-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [ot] osx 4 linux users
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:55:49 GMT

On Mar 14, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Leo Simons wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> I logged into moof just now, looking around, taking a peek at gumpy.
>>> Man, do I feel naked over there! Does anyone know of a
>>> 20-minute-introduction-to-commandline-OSX-for-linux-users? Or
>>> something like that?
>> What are the big differences that you see?
>
> try stuff like...
>
>    cd /
>    ls -al

Oh - yes, the layout is a little different

>    cat /etc/group

That should be the same, although IIRC it's generated - you don't want
to modify that directly.

>    set

Don't know what the problem is :)

   What shell are you using on OS X?  I use bash on both.

>    rpm -qa | grep perl
>    apt-cache search perl

Yes, it's clearly not red hat another linux distro.

$ which perl

shows it's in /usr/bin/

>    ls -al /usr/bin/java
>
> everything is different to me :-D

java is different and a little funky (I wouldn't say weird as I never
put it in /usr/bin myself...) in that it's in

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework

which will hold multiple versions of Java if you have them....

Hope this helps get you started.

geir@4quarters.com