gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump docs solution, makes everyone happy (Re: Gump Thrashing/Spinning...)
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 14:24:51 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>
>>> I'll certainly guilty of being away for a while, but
>>> gump.document.forrest is not a small thing, and to my eyes, not entirely
>>> obvious.

>  > Also, if we want both xdoc and html output we'd need to set
>
>> of tempaltes (with code in) which isn't nice.
>
> Maybe my comment got lost... generate html and Forrest can skin that too.
>
> In other words, Forrest can skin an html site.
>
> So, if you make Cheetah output plain html you can see the site natively,
> or decide to have Forrest skin over it and publish it or use a live
> Forrest.
>
> I'm -1 on removing Forrest for output, as it takes away the same visual
> style of the site.

That's darn near a circular definition.  To demonstrate: what's wrong
with the notion of switching the site to Anakia, which is stable, builds
consistently with Gump, and powers www.apache.org, jakarta.apache.org,
and a number of other sites?

Now realize that I am *NOT* proposing Anakia.  What I am proposing is
that the ability to view a site as it is being produced is a very
valuable thing to have, and an important consideration both for a
machine which is a shared resource and for any hope of there ever being
personal usage of gump.

Beyond that, I would like to reiterate the point that there is value in
keeping true to the original design where Gump bootstraps its own
dependencies.

- Sam Ruby