gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Generator vs Serializer
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:19:50 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> +1 in removal of forrest and go plain XHTML + CSS. But please, let's use
> a velocity-like approach, not a DOM like approach!

I may be reading too much into Stefano's words, but if so, the following
is how I see things.

At the moment, gump.document.* take a complete set of knowledge and
produce a set of artifacts.  The best analogy to Cocoon for this would
be a serializer which terminates a pipeline.

An alternate approach would be to completely flip this.  Have the
equivalent logic drive the acquisition of certain pieces of information,
which can be processed as it is being received.  The best analogy to
Cocoon for this would be a generator which is at the beginning of a
pipeline.  Classic gump is closer to this model... after a brief
generation phase, the execution of the resulting script triggers
actions, the output of which is intermixed with some static and some
generated output.

I'm not much into abstract architectural discussion.  I tend to focus on
tangible and measurable quanties that matter to real people.  In this
case, it is clear that Gump is expected to run for a long period of
time, and I view not having ANY output until EVERYTHING is done as
something less than ideal.

Producing output as the information becomes available can also
dramatically reduce working set sizes.

- Sam Ruby