gump-general mailing list archives

From Michael Davey <Michael.Da...@coderage.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Gump Architecture
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:25:48 GMT
Nick Chalko wrote:

> I had thought of using a event / black board system to support a
> distributed gump. Using something like javaspaces.

[snip workflow]

> This is a radically change but much more scalable.

Wow, what a [RT]!  I think this is a fantastic idea.  It might be worth
taking a look at JXTA.  They have a python binding project, but I don't
know what kind of state it is in.  You could always use JXTA-J as a
temporary solution.

I guess the main advantage of JXTA would be that all those private Gumps
would be helping out the build, unless they opt out (where as right now,
private installations have to opt-in by asking to be listed on the Gump
pages).

Regarding the workflow, I think the controller should also indicate the
platform and java version to be used, so that individual peers could
filter the build list and choose appropriate work units.  I guess that
the controller would be responsible for nagging in this scenario.

I've got this vision of all these little gump tins around the world,
each constantly fetching, building and submitting their work units, just
like SETI-at-home!

--
Michael