gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: fog factor
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:07:38 GMT
Adam Jack wrote:

>>Adam, I think we should get rid of FoG entirely until we have a better
>>solution. It is causing more harm than good.
>

> What is harm and what is refining discussion? If we remove it, what
> incentive do folks have to contribute improvements?

The only incentive I see is an escalation of people that will tune the
FoG metric so that their project show up on top.

A measure, believe it or not, is a thing that introduces scarcity and
anything that is scarce will trigger desires of possession from some people.

> I'll do whatever the group determines, but first teach me OSS 101 on such
> matters, please. Is this too bad to tolerate, or just bad enough to entice?

It is not bad, it's just asking for trouble.

We should design Gump keeping in mind that it should be silly to infer
any judgement of quality out of the data.

Our goal is not to measure, it's to help out the development process.

--
Stefano.