gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ot] osx 4 linux users
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:09:32 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> What are the big differences that you see?
>>

>> try stuff like...
>>
>>    cd /
>>    ls -al
>

> Oh - yes, the layout is a little different
>

>>    cat /etc/group
>

> That should be the same, although IIRC it's generated - you don't want
> to modify that directly.

No, it's not. It's a fallback from netinfo but it is not activated by
default (AFAIK).

>>    set
>>

> Don't know what the problem is :)
>
>   What shell are you using on OS X?  I use bash on both.
>
>>    rpm -qa | grep perl
>>    apt-cache search perl
>

> Yes, it's clearly not red hat another linux distro.
>
> $ which perl
>
> shows it's in /usr/bin/
>

>>    ls -al /usr/bin/java
>>
>> everything is different to me :-D
>

> java is different and a little funky (I wouldn't say weird as I never
> put it in /usr/bin myself...) in that it's in
>
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework
>
> which will hold multiple versions of Java if you have them....

the JVM package system is pretty cool, takes a while to appreciate it
but it's very easy to use once you realize that it's enough to change the

  /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK

symlink to point to any of the JDK installed. For example, here is my
machine:

[stefano@Merlino] /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions $ dir
total 8
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     wheel         102 Oct 28 00:04 1.2
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     wheel         102 Oct 28 00:04 1.3
drwxr-xr-x   8 root     wheel         272 Nov 11 13:07 1.3.1
drwxr-xr-x   8 root     wheel         272 Dec 11 23:07 1.4.1
drwxr-xr-x   8 root     wheel         272 Jan 10 01:26 1.4.2
drwxr-xr-x   5 root     wheel         170 Mar  2 00:21 A
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root     wheel           1 Feb  5 10:25 Current -> A
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root     wheel           5 Feb  4 21:05 CurrentJDK -> 1.4.2

also not that the apple JVM has the highest native integration in the OS
of all any other JVM (for example, swing is native and multiple JVM
share memory space)

the memory sharing feature makes osx a pretty kickass OS for java
operations.

Hope this helps.

--
Stefano.