gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Cactus] commons-codec added to dependency jars?
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2004 05:30:04 GMT
Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]

oh, ok.

> It's a refactoring (replacing
> the dependency on commons-code with some inherit on httpclient). The
> problem is that I'm not a gumpy expert and I don't know if this change
> is the correct one. Stefan, on the other hand, has had much more
> experience and I'm sure he's more confident in the changes he's making
> (even though, I'm sure he tries them on his machine from time to time
> before or after committing the changes) :-)
>
> More generally, if the build is broken and I make a change to fix it,
> I'd like to be sure it fixes the build. Otherwise I'll have to wait till
> the following morning, try something else, wait again, try something
> else. I remember doing this in the and it took me about 1 week or
> more to get Gump working for Cactus (the Cactus build does quite a lot).

man, it took me two months to have a single clean gump run for cocoon,
then I let go and it fell apart, so I do feel your pain.

I agree that a sandbox to play would be nice, like having a workflow like:

  1) you log in
  2) click "edit the project descriptor"
  3) a textarea contains the descriptor
  4) you change the descriptor
  5) save it
  6) run the descriptor
  7) get the output
  9) commit to cvs

Two problems in this scenario:

  1) infrastructure is not going to allow gump to commit to CVS directly
  2) since there is no LDAP or equivalent, it's tricky to have a
committer-wide access control in synch [even if infrastructure would
like to have a single sign-on system in place]

--
Stefano.