gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Moving gump forward
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:20:19 GMT
Daniel F. Savarese wrote:

> In message <404C0959.50001@apache.org>, Stefano Mazzocchi writes:
>
>>Now, I think it's possible (even if computationally expensive) to
>>understand exactly what commit broke the build and to nag the exact
>>person and the community and copy all the offended people.

>>for those not familiar with exponential growth, it's enough to say that
>>if the build took a minute it would take gump 2,5 billion years to find
>>out what broke the build.

> Why don't you start with the easy stuff.  If a build of project A
> fails, we know all builds depending on project A will fail.  But
> if project A is dependent on project B, and project B failed, then
> we keep on walking up the tree to find the first build that failed.
> Okay, so now that leaves the issue of a build failing because of
> an API or some other change in a dependent project that built
> successfully.  For projects with a small number of dependencies,
> use the brute force approach you described.  For projects with a
> large number dependencies, develop some heuristics.

Yes, I was thinking about this today.

> You can
> reason that if project B makes a change that breaks project A and
> if C also depends on project B, then there's a chance project C
> might also have broken.

uh, that's a brilliant suggestion right there!

> Since Gump builds a ton of code bases,
> a decent number of culprits (i.e., project B) could be identified
> by analyzing the dependencies shared by projects that failed to
> build.

This is awesome! I love it!

> You can then apply the brute force approach to only those
> shared dependencies if they number below some manageable figure.

Sweet!

> Another heuristic approach that would work for Java projects at
> least, would be to analyze the build failure messages.  Usually
> they'll reference a class or class member/method that is in
> a dependent code base.  Develop an evolving library of patterns
> to extract the offending methods/classes/etc. and then discover
> what jar they came from.

yes, I was going to suggest this approach next, but I'm reluctant
because I deeply appreciate the fact that gump is language agnostic and
it should remain the same, IMO.

> Anyway, those are some inelegant, inxact, and simplistic--but perhaps
> useful in some instances--suggestions about how to start adding the
> functionality you describe that would buy time to figure out how to do
> it right.

yep

> That is, assuming it's a hard problem that requires a good
> while to figure out.  My reasoning is that it's okay to nag the
> wrong projects every once in a while as long as you nag the right projects
> most of the time.  And on first glance, based on your comments, it seems
> easier to implement that than to figure out the right project to nag all
> the time.

yours are precious suggestions. many thanks for taking the time to share
them.

I'll try to think more about heuristics on broken dependencies and
report back.

--
Stefano.