gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: feature request: top critical failures
Date Sun, 07 Mar 2004 23:32:28 GMT
Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Dear gumpmaisters,
>>
>>  excalibur-logging is breaking basically 40% of our tree and nobody
>> gives a damn.
>>

> Hi Stefano,
>
> Actually in the last one or two months, I have been "giving a damn" as
> you said. With the participation of the corresponding communities,
> and the help of Stefan Bodewig, we got a number of builds with a lot of
> dependencies, located upstream of excalibur-logging, repaired :
> - jaxen,
> - dom4j,
> - xml-fop,
> - .velocity

Antoine,

I seriously apologize if my comment sounded offensive. With "nobody
gives a damn" I meant none of the avalon people. Which is really making
me sad and a little bit worried, given how much cocoon relies on those
pieces.

> But you are right, if the number of dependencies is displayed, it will
> be easier to detect the spots which are harming a lot gump.

I think gumpy suffers from "data overload" syndrome: too many numbers,
too much eye candy... it's harder to spot where the errors are.

> Concerning excalibur-logging :
>
> The build file of excalibur-logging does not match the source tree of
> this component, and expects java sources to be at a place where they are
> not.
>
> I will try to suggest a new build.xml to the avalon team for this
> component. May be it could be built with Maven, but I do not know Maven,
> and
> I do not know either the interface between gump and Maven.
>
> I am also wondering whether we should not define some gump best
> practices for ant build files of individual projects :
>
> - the full path of each dependency jar should be a property, not just
> the name of the jar (so that gump can override the property properly)
> - preferably, the build.xml of each project should not attempt to build
> another project, or there should be a way for gump (by setting properties)
> to prevent this from happening.
> I am thinking here about xdoclet. xdoclet is expecting xjavadoc to be in
> a parallel source tree ( ../xjavadoc ) which is OK for gump
> and tries to build the xjavadoc.jar (not good) when the xdoclet build
> file thinks the xjavadoc.jar is not uptodate with the sources.

There are two paths here:

  1) make gump smart enough to work with that's out there
  2) lobby to change things for them to adapt in whatever gump way

Technically, 2 is king.

Socially, 2 is impossible.

> I will give a shout to the xdoclet guys concerning this later. The point
> I am trying to make is that :
>
> *A good build file (for gump) is a simple build file*

True.

Unfortunately, this is real life and real life is a bitch.

We must build gump so that it can cope with the real world, the opposite
is just too hard to be true.

--
Stefano.