gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump Database
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 02:47:24 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Stefano wrote:
>

>>While the question that you should be asking yourself is: what does the
>>data look like? how stuctured is it?
>>
>> From where I stand, the gump metadata is highly structured and can be
>>perfectly mapped in to a relational structure with reasonable effort.
>>Also, given its structure, can be indexed precisely and thus queried
>>very efficiently.
>

> So the fact that I can visualize this it into a huge rats nest in my head
> (especially when wired into objects) doesn't help me make a case for it
> being unstructured? ;-) ;-)
>
> Ok, I hear you -- and stepping back, looking at the main (named) entities as
> entries in tables, I can see a relational schema with relationships as names
> with or without RI. What I can't see (though) is what helps me with the time
> aspect --- i.e. when a dependency is dropped, what do I compare against?

nonono wait a second. What are you talking about? I was talking about
putting the historical data into the system, not the gump metadata.

> I guess the data I'm interested in right now is (somehow) relationships over
> time. One projects relationship to it's repository, to it's peers, to
> communities (of users). How that looks, I'm not sure, but I'll try to answer
> that in my head before I continue.

I have an email in my draft folder about how we can do perfect nagging
with gump... but I need to understand the graph complexity before I can
go on and I don't have much time ATM since we are delivering the first
demo of our project next week.

>>At that point, once you have the data in the database, you can start
>>thinking about what to do with it. Dependency graph visualization,
>>history of dependencies, FoG estimation, all of these are problems that
>>will result in particular queries and particular use of the result set.
>

> I like XML as the human (community) editable interface, and converting it to
> relational for each run really doesn't appeal to me.

Of course!! Nonono, I don't want to move from XML descriptors to
relational data, that would be stupid without an GUI or a webapp to
guide people, but I wouldn't use it anyway.

> Even if I do, comparing
> as I load, and detecting changes -- also sounds like work. It also sounds
> similar to the XML to Object work that Gumpy is doing, and I was hoping
> something could help out here w/o me doing it myself in pedestrian steps.

I am *NOT* proposing to change the way gump loads metadata but the way
gump stores history information

> I need to do more thinking, but thanks for the direct feedback, I appreciate
> that. Another persons clarity helps.
>
> BTW: So say we want MySQL [for results and maybe more], how do we set that
> up? Do we install, or leverage an existing MySQL install at Apache?

good question, but too early now, let's focus on what we want to do and
how, the infrastructural details will come after that.

--
Stefano.