gump-general mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <san...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [ot] osx 4 linux users
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 02:47:53 GMT

On Mar 14, 2004, at 1:29 PM, Leo Simons wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> I logged into moof just now, looking around, taking a peek at gumpy.
>>> Man, do I feel naked over there! Does anyone know of a
>>> 20-minute-introduction-to-commandline-OSX-for-linux-users? Or
>>> something like that?
>> What are the big differences that you see?
>
> try stuff like...
>
>    cd /
>    ls -al

As has been said, it's fairly BSD like. I don't have an account on
Moof, so can't tell you what OS it's exactly running (OSX, Server, or
plain Darwin). However, from the root you'll see the normal usr, var,
etc, dev, tmp et. al., some of which are symlinks pointing under
/private. The OS is under /System, except for the kernel which sits in
/. Add-ons go under /Library, and home dirs are under /Users.

>    cat /etc/group

The passwd and group files are only used when running single-user on
Darwin. In multi-user, it uses NetInfo, a database which can be, but
probably isn't, run domain wide and is a holdover from the NeXT era.
Try

% nidump group /

On the command line to get the group list. See nidump(8).

>    set

Should be a shell built-in. See builtin(1). Note: man pages are not
always up-to-date.

>    rpm -qa | grep perl
>    apt-cache search perl

As has been noted, neither of these packaging systems are typically
available. OSX uses its own packaging system which is much coarser.
Perl should be on the machine though. I realize all my machines are
tainted because I have developer tools on them, but I assume these are
also available on Moof.

The Perl installation, modules etc. live under both
/System/Library/Perl and /Library/Perl (I believe your own
installations, as root, land in the latter). However, if you're not
root the default install location may be under your own ~/Library/Perl,
but that doesn't seem to be in the default search path (says perl -e
'print join("\n", @INC);'). Dunno.

>    ls -al /usr/bin/java

As someone said, the JVM sits under /System/Library, so you'll see that
/usr/bin/java is a symlink to the current one. As you can see under
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions, you're getting a
number of versions installed concurrently. If you're looking for
something to point JAVA_HOME to, use /Library/Java/Home :

[sctemme@MonaLisa] projects $ ls -l /Library/Java/Home
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  48  2 Feb 14:58 /Library/Java/Home@ ->
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home

The target of this symlink is in turn a symlink into the latest JDK. If
you need an earlier version, you can point directly into that
installation.

Actually, I believe stuff like Tomcat's startup script has
/Library/Java/Home as one of the fallbacks if JAVA_HOME is unset.

> everything is different to me :-D

Yeah, it's different in a lot of ways, but most things should feel
fairly familiar. What's your default shell? On the current version of
the OS, it appears to be /bin/bash (should be familiar), but on older
versions it was tcsh (might be a little odd but very BSD).

S.