gump-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Terminating a tree of processes...
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:06:26 GMT
On Monday 29 March 2004 06:33, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> I don't know what 'process group' gives me (on Unix, it isn't on M$) but is
> there some way that a tree is a group? Can I find the group(s) for my
> children and kill those groups without killing myself? Anybody know this?

Not sure where you get "process group" from, but 'traditional' groups in
processes on Linux is "user groups" of the user running the process.

AFAIK, Processes only have a single Parent, and I think your parsing the
genealogy seems to be the only way (Don't know how that translates to M$
though).
Whether parsing "ps" output or reading the /proc/<pid>/status  file is
better/faster/more portable, I wouldn't know, it just sounds easier to me.