gump-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Profile mods for Avalon: Re: cvs commit: gump/project avalon-components.xml avalon-excalibur.xml
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 04:55:04 GMT
On Wednesday 17 March 2004 07:29, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> I ended up adding all the project/avalon* projects in Gump CVS to
> profile/gump.xml.

Sorry, I don't know Gump well enough to know what profiles are.

> Avalon-Logging, is it to go away or not? I thought I noticed some comment
> to that effect, and anyway -- the CVS checkout failed. If going away, we
> ought tell folks like commons-logging. If I oughtn't have added it, let's
> delete the project/avalon-logger.xml file.

Avalon as a Gump project doesn't exist, and should be removed.

Avalon Framework is what people probably mean, and is the foundation we will
build on top of.

Avalon-Logging is replacing Excalibur Logging, and is the package that is used
inside Avalon Merlin, the now decided Single Platform from Avalon.

Merlin will only depend on (sooner or later) avalon-framework, avalon-logging,
avalon-meta, avalon-repository and various avalon-util, plus external stuff.

Excalibur is going to be terminated, once we have polished it up to a final
nice state. I am planning (provided consenus can be reached) that commit
rights will be removed after that has been reached, so if someone want to
evolve it, they have to fork it to another place.

Fortress features that are desireable are going to be migrated to Merlin, and
then Fortress will go the same path as Excalibur, but will take much longer.

Cornerstone is going to be migrated into a nice state, that means
documentation, unittests and no dependencies on Excalibur. This will take
quite a while.

I hope this clarifies the evolutionary path that I see happening over the next
6 months or so.

Niclas