gump-general mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] which OS for new gump machine?
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2004 03:04:36 GMT
On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 21:43, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
> > The new IBM boxen arrived, and infrastructure@ will be installing them
> > this week. There's been quite a bit of talk about which OS to run on the
> > machine. From the looks of it, we're probably getting Red Hat Enterprise
> > Linux v3 (RHEL3).
> >
> > This is a quick vote to be sure we're in agreement that's a sane choice.
> > Please place your votes:
> >
> > [] Linux
> >    [] RHEL
> >    [] Debian
> > [] FreeBSD (probably 5.2.x)
>
> My vote is for Debian.  I initially switched to Debian for my own
> personal use when Red Hat end of lifed the non-Enterprise version of the
> OS, but I quickly fell in love with apt-get.
>
> If any help is needed administering this box, count me in.  I have some
> prior experience in configuring Gump boxes, and would like to become
> reacquainted with the Python branch.  ;-)
>
> - Sam Ruby

Hmm, I went to Fedora after the EOL on Redhat 9 was announced, which
supports just about everything that was going on with the old Redhat
series. I think of it as Redhat 9.1. I'm quite happy with yum, up2date
and with the JPackage efforts, I can easily manage via rpm's the
installation of Java and many Apache Java projects with little to no
effort.

-Mark

--
Mark R. Diggory