gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: Gump Database
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:30:47 GMT

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > For this specific problem, I would go relational.
>
> +1. Brain-dead and ugly solution like mysql ;)

When I think about the answers I've received [and thanks for them] I wonder
if folks are thinking more about the ugly/brain dead type problem of results
tracking. I agree, that is fine to do relationally. [That is where this
thread originated, so perhaps I unintentionally led the response.]

BTW: First, let me state for the record, I'm no fan of XML for XML's sake &
don't wish to try to push it where it isn't useful. Also, everybody ought
use relational databases (specifically those wonderful ones from Sybase,
which also happens to have some awesome XML/XQL features, and allows joining
XML and relational data.) Ok, my corporate pitch ;-) ;-) ;-) over...

I realize I was more interested in the XML metadata, and it's changes over
time. The results are why folks invest in granting us/maintaining their
project metadata. The metadata is a map (a graph) of the community, and some
interactions [some, needs to be extended for more], and I was hoping some
form of XML repository could somehow give us a time factor on that.

I might be looking for more than is there, I might be looking for too low
level an assist, but I'd like to know if folks who used to depend upon X no
longer do [change in one XML], and when most migrated away [multiple]. I'd
like to know if a product was a 'huge hit' [multiple], and who was migrating
to it [multiple]. I'd like to see which communities/groups (lamely, for this
mail, based off  repository) were using something. I'd like to know details
like this over time.

I could push this graph into a relational schema but I feel that would be
very restrictive, and would pre-determine the benefits. I guess I can take
deltas, or store historical copies of the whole metadata, but I feel I need
some tool that is into analysing XML over time. Maybe I do need XINDICE, or
something like it.

Again, feel free to correct me -- and/or express your gut feelings against,
but my gut tells me I have a storage problem but I don't know the right
tools for the store, or the query mechanisms.

regards,

Adam